Tuesday, April 17, 2012

"Saddleback Steamroller WoodBlock Party"

I'm attending a printmaking class at Saddleback College taught by Vinita Voogd. I think it's fair to say Vinita is an internationally recognized printmaker. One of the projects was to create a woodblock to be printed by a steamroller. That activity is scheduled for this coming Friday, April 20, 2012.

I finished the block early this afternoon...

For those who personally know me, yes, that is me holding a tool, a sharp tool...and I never cut myself!

Vinita is an incredible instructor and many of the class members produce gallery, if not musuem, quality work.

If all goes well, I'll post a pic of my print, "Cambria".

For more information see the Los Angeles Printmaking Society site.

2 comments:

Deborah Eley De Bono said...

Lovely print but my big question is, why the steam roller? Is it the weight? Does that make a better print than a hand roller? Is there only one print made? Interesting process none the less.

Dabblerteer said...

Morning Deb,

A print has not been made from the woodblock, yet. That happens tomorrow, Friday.

What you see hanging is an enlarged black and white image of the digitally manipulated photo I took some time ago. I traced that image onto the woodblock.

If all goes well, I'll have at least one 24" by 42" ink on quality paper print by the end of the day, tomorrow. There will be many classmates and visitors printing; if time permits I'll try for two prints.

Yes, the steamroller provides the weight and the excitement. There are other ways to print the woodblock; it just wouldn't be as much fun!

Frankly, I don't know if the steamroller makes a better print than a press or a hand roller. This is all new to me.

-Bernard