Saturday, May 2, 2009

"A Companion of Diana" Posted

"A Companion of Diana"
Graphite on Paper
© 2009

Karin Jurick has posted my drawing of "A Companion of Diana" on her "Different Strokes From Different Folks" (DSFDF) blog. There were over 100 interpretations posted.

My drawing measured 8-1/2" from the bottom of the statue's base to the top of the statue's head. I used an HB pencil for most of the drawing. I used 6B and 8B for the darkest shadows. The paper was 9" x 12". Given the amount of detail, the multiple light sources, and the subtle changes in values - next time I'm using a much bigger sheet of paper.

With each teeny, tiny stroke of the pencil, I marveled at the complexity of the statue. I was continually amazed by the sculptor's ability to create an entire story of the adoration of a dog for its mistress, the fondness of the mistress for her dog - all delicately portrayed with strength and beauty.

No comments: